Deferral of Receipt of the Standard Diploma

Deferring the receipt of the standard diploma is done in order to continue to receive services under FAPE. There are two parts to deferral of the standard diploma. First, a student must have an IEP that “prescribes special education, transition planning, transition services, or related services through 21.” This is being interpreted to mean that a student must require services to be successful. Second, a student must be enrolled in one of several specific educational programs. The majority of students who earn a standard diploma via an option open to all students will not meet these criteria.